Wednesday, April 27, 2016

My New Life: Food

Yesterday I touched just a bit on my food.  I thought I'd take you a little more in depth of my food intake as of right now.  Here are a few typical meals:

Breakfast:

1/3 cup instant oatmeal with just a little Lactaid free milk (1/3 cup is 1/3 package of instant oatmeal...so 1 package=3 breakfasts for me).

or

1 hard boiled egg and 1 slice of ham

or

2 oz low fat yogurt with 1 oz of fruit added

or

2 egg muffins (9 eggs whisked with chopped ham, onions, and salsa. Pour mixture into 12 muffin tin holes that have been sprayed with non-stick spray.  Bake on 350 until done.  Take out of oven and immediately add small amount of LF cheese (I used Sergento's ultra thin sliced cheese, 1/4 of the slice on each "muffin").  They are very filling.  2of them weighed 4 oz so are over what I'm supposed to eat.  I brought 2 to work for breakfast today but can't finish 1/2 of the 2nd one because I'm full.  I'll probably eat the last couple of bites before lunch but next time I make them (this weekend) I will divide mine up to 1 1/2 per serving.  If you make these make sure you make enough for everybody because they are good!  I'm going to have to try these with bacon bits (from Costco) when I use up the ham slice!

Here's a picture:





Lunch:

I usually bring leftovers such as:

1.5 oz meat such as chicken
1.5 oz veggies such as cauliflower
a little teriyaki sauce drizzled on top

or

a slice of ham with 1/2 a lite cheese wedge rolled up and a couple of grape tomatoes

Dinner:

1.5 oz of meat
1.5 oz of veggies or potato



Here is a picture of a typical lunch or dinner for me:



It might look big in the picture but it's really not and I still have to remind myself that this will fill me up~

I can't eat breads, pastas or rice for 6 months and to be honest I feel so much better without them that I may not add them back in!

I'm not supposed to snack but in reality I still do.  My snacking has changed though.  Before the surgery I craved and ate sweets...all...day...long.  Now, I don't crave sweets hardly at all.  My snacking consists of mostly the following:

Raw yellow peppers (I used to not like them)
Grape tomatoes
1/2 c. yogurt w/a little bit of cooked apples mixed in
1/2 SF pudding cup
Frozen Go-Gurt
1/2 Banana w/a little bit of p-nut butter

Like I said I don't crave sweets much but I do crave protein and vegetables. 

I realize my food may not sound exciting but I'm learning food is a fuel and it's not supposed to always be exciting and gooy and extra "yummy".  I've stopped saying desserts look yummy.  Instead I say they look pretty.  If something is extra pretty we don't eat it right?  Therefore desserts are pretty and I can admire them for their prettiness and not feel deprived by not eating them!  I also tell myself that just because I can't have something today doesn't mean I can't ever have it, just that I can't have it today.  For example, those delicious ribs my brother-in-law cooks.  I couldn't have them a month ago and took some cooked chicken to eat instead.  Last weekend he cooked them again and this time I was able to eat a few bites of them and did fine.  I do realize there are some things I may never be able to eat again because they are triggers for me...potato chips, chocolate chip cookies, ice cream.  I love these 3 and I won't be satisified with just 1 of them so I just won't start!

My next post will be on drinks...see you around the water cooler!

No comments: