Monday, March 26, 2012

I made yogurt!

I can't believe how easy it is to make yogurt in a crockpot!  I found the recipe/directions at this wonderful blog: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html and decided to give it a try since I'm not overly fond of store bought yogurt.  Since I only have a huge crockpot I started keeping my eyes open at yardsales for a smaller one and a couple of weeks ago I picked one up t for a whole $2.00.  The recipe was for a larger batch than my little crock would hold so I just halved it and it turned out fine!  Stephanie also mentioned starting out using whole milk until you get the hang of making yogurt...well, all I had was 2% so that's what I used and it turned out just fine! 


Doesn't it look pretty?  After it was made I took a CLEAN tea towel and lined my collander and dumped the yogut in to get rid of some of the whey.  I know I could have used it in cooking but this was my first time and I just didn't know what to use it for.  I let it chill in the refrigerator overnight and the next morning I cut up some fresh strawberries and put them in small containers with some of the yogurt.  The littles had spent the night so I let them have the fun of adding their own sweetner.  I a small amount of powdered sugar in a little bitty bowl and gave them a teeny tiny spoon to sprinkle the sugar into their yogurt...they had lots of fun doing it and ate their yogurt right up!  Bri even asked for 2nds!!!  I put Splenda in the rest of it along with some more cut up strawberries and let it sit for a few days and man 'o man is it ever yummy!  Good thing I kept a little bit out for my started on my next batch!!!



It was so good that I decided I need a bigger (medium sized) crockpot to make it in!  Try it...I promise you will LOVE it!!!


No comments: